Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Writer, the Internet Typewriter


Welcome to Writer, The Internet Typewriter. You just open it up, press F11 for a full screen, and start typing. It sounds pretty simple, and it is, but you'll be amazed at how it frees you up from screwing around with font sizes and colors and all of the other nonsense that you usually busy yourself with instead of actually writing. You could just press F11 again to go back out to screw around on the internet - but you just don't because it's not right in your face all the time. It's all psychological.

You can choose from manual or electric typewriter sound effects for a very satisfying click-ity clack clack! It makes you feel like a real old-timey newspaper man! Getting the scoop!

 The display is customization, but I'm a fan of the old green-on-black Consola. If you have an old mainframe, green-screen system at your job, the screen gives the illusion that you're busily punching away at some old database. That's not something I would take advantage of, but I do like how it reminds of the Word Processor* that we had when I was a little kid. I used it to make alphabetized lists of all my comic books and albums, then comb through the data to analyze the state of my collection - I was kind of a weird kid. Probably the kind that grows up to write a blog.


* Without Writer, I would have been distracted at this point by a Google search of old Word Processors, trying to identify the exact model that we had in the house. I'm not sure how much time that diversion would have cost me, but it's safe to say that it wouldn't have been time well spent

No comments:

Post a Comment