Monday, February 25, 2013

Here's To My Health


It’s hard to find a reason not to admire Richard Branson.  He made his billions in record stores and airplanes, then used those billions to build himself a spaceship.  He reminds me of a playboy billionaire alter-ego of the wise-cracking comic book hero.  His blog is definitely something I recommend and for the past few days, I've been mulling over a recent post found there, “Blogging: Good For Your Health?”
“[Blogging] keeps the mind engaged and is an outlet for creativity, as well as encouraging communication.“
I think Branson’s assessment is spot-on.  I began writing my blog, The Augmentee in preparation for a 2008 deployment to Iraq as a sort of therapy; it was a fun way to deal with all the stressful unknowns presented by that unique solo deployment.  Once the blog gained a little traction among my friends and the small community of Navy Individual Augmentees, I admit I became a little addicted to the attention.  I still had fun writing it, but I had an equal amount of fun reviewing all the reader comments, obsessively watching the site’s hit counter climb, and admiring it's standing in the top-5 Google results for “individual augmentee*”

I've made several attempts to get a blog going since but they all fell miserably flat, bruising my fragile ego and failing to gain any audience.  I wasn't having any fun at all.  So this time, I’m just writing.  I still (desperately) hope people read and interact with it, but I’m not going to get all spun up about it.  Let’s see how it goes.


* It helped that “augmentee” is a made-up, Navy word that doesn’t produce an unwieldy number of search results.

3 comments:

  1. Muffin,

    I've followed and enjoyed all of your blogs, but I've got to tell you: Wardroom III is downstairs. The forward wardroom is I and II. Hopefully it's not too late to change the URL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit, you're right. Thanks for the heads up while I'm still in pilot phase. I've got some photo-shopping to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s the kind of attention to detail that’s been a hallmark of my literary success.

    Anyway, no big deal… I just have to change the URL, the header photo, the sidebar and the Facebook plug-ins.

    ReplyDelete